Looking for ways to make your garden look better? Here are simple tips to make the grass greener on your side of the street.
1. Drop the needy plants. Focus on plants that don’t need too much attention. You can cut down the pruning and fertilizing.
2. Plant herbs and vegetables that you can use. Mint? Pandan leaves? Tomatoes? Have it all in your backyard.
3. Know what to prune. When plants are growing too big for its designated area, prune them with sharp, clean garden shears to avoid the spreading of disease. When leaves and branches start blocking your pathway and scratching you when you walk by, it’s time to keep them contained. Remove dead or faded foliage and only keep green and healthy growth.
4. Water less often but more deeply. Experts suggest watering grass once a week with one inch of water. This helps the roots of the grass to grow deeper into the soil. Of course, this varies depending on the weather, and type of soil and grass.
5. Use kitchen and garden waste as compost. This not only helps in reducing waste, it also helps green up your garden plants!
6. Watch out for pesky garden pests! Have a good walk through your garden everyday to see how lovely it has become. This way, you can also keep an eye out for unwanted bugs. If you observe any signs of pests, act on it appropriately.
7. Make sure you have the proper landscaping tools to make gardening an easy task!
8. Here’s a simple garden tonic to make your grass greener: 1 can of any regular soda, 1 can of beer (no light beer), ½ cup of dishwashing liquid (not anti-bacterial), ½ cup household ammonia, ½ cup of mouthwash. Apply with a hose-end sprayer every three weeks in high heat. This will essentially serve as food for your grass, as well as help the dead grass to break down and compost more quickly!
9. Simple garden furniture can complete your garden's look, and make your green area a cool place to hang out in.
10. Use natural insecticide for your garden. Powdered chilli pepper can ward off mites and bugs to keep your garden pest-free.
11. Coffee grounds make for good fertilizer! Diluted coffee can fertilize your plants as well as keep the cats away!
12. Think of a theme for your garden! Japanese style? Rock garden? Let your creative juices start flowing.
Got all these tips but not sure how to start? Myra's Garden can provide you with everything you need to revamp that garden of yours. Seeds, plants, tools, and even garden fixtures - get that perfect lawn in no time.