Thinking of better ways on how to “green”-up your business? Leave a lighter carbon footprint by being more environmentally-friendly in how you conduct your business. This can go a long way in helping your enterprise save on energy and resources, which leads to lower capital and operational expenses in the long run. Here are 12 easy-to-do tips on how you can save on costs while helping save the environment as well:
1. Save on energy by maximizing your computer’s settings via the “Low Power Mode” and the “Sleep Mode”, especially when it’s not in use for more than 10 minutes. Shutting the computer down completely can do wonders when you’re sure you won’t be using it for more than an hour or so (during lunch break or long meetings), and unplugging it when the work day is done ensures no energy is spent unwisely. Oh, and you can also leave the lights off during the day if you have an abundance of natural light in your office. If not, you can always change your incandescent bulbs to fluorescent ones, or better yet, go crazy on LEDs. Doing so can greatly increase your business’ energy efficiency by as much as 20-45 percent. Not bad, huh?
2. Re-use/Re-cycle what you can. Want to get rid of that old table/couch/file cabinet? Why not refurbish them? Think of the money you’ll be saving instead of buying new office equipment. But if you think you should really go get some new stuff, choose the ones made from recycled materials. Want to do more? Recycle paper, ink cartridges, cell phones, mobile gadgets, and use cloth towels as a substitute to the ones made of paper.
3. Minimize paper usage by maximizing your email and keeping digital files, instead of printing actual documents for old-school manual filing. Remember, not all documents need printing. Plus, there’s a plethora of digital storage kits available and they’re getting cheaper and smaller for your convenience. Here’s a thought: PDF is your friend.
4. If you must print, do so on recyclable paper and go double-sided if you can. Misprints can be re-used as note pads and scratch sheets for meetings or what have you.
5. Partner with a Recycling Facility. Doing so will help you facilitate an atmosphere of “green” in your business as you have a recycling-partner waiting in the wings, ready to take your recyclables away for disposal. You’ll see your trash magically decrease in proportion to what you had previously. What’s more, you’re sure to make a few extra dough from the deal. Talk about turning your trash into treasure!
6. Be ever so mindful of how you use water in the office. Make sure there are no dripping faucets in the pantry or in the rest rooms. Employees should be encouraged to conserve water.
7. Pick suppliers who share your enthusiasm to go green. Choosing the right “green” suppliers for your business not only puts you on the right track to go environmentally-friendly, but it also encourages a change of mindset in other businesses as well. This provides a continuing cycle of “green-mindfulness” in your immediate business community.
8. Continue Searching for “green” supplies, services and products near your business establishment to save not just on time but on fuel as well. Keep in mind that the nearer your providers to your enterprise, the less carbon footprint you will inflict on the environment.
9. Share a ride to work or when going to a meeting. Better yet, take a ride on the Metro Rail and save on gas money while getting a bit of exercise walking to and from the train stations. It’s truly a healthy way of being efficient financially with the added value of not adding to your carbon footprint.
10. Go GREEN for the right reasons. There’s going “green” and there’s going “green” for the right reasons. Yes, you want to save money while helping the environment, but don’t you think it should be the other way around? Bottom-line: It’s not just about the money.
11. Spread the word. It’s not enough that you’re doing your part to save the environment. One can only do so much and in this campaign. We need all the help we can get. Go out and spread the word (either through social media or by example) on how every one can change his/her part of the world one recycling effort at a time.
12. Keep the GREEN Flame Burning. Stay focused on your endeavor to be environmentally-friendly. Keep in mind that in the long run, doing so will not just pay-off for you and your business cost-wise, but it will have a much greater impact on the greening of our surroundings for our children and our children’s children.